Yuzu is a citrus fruit originating in East Asia. It is commonly used in Japan and has a tart citrus flavour similar to a grapefruit. I've tried yuzu sorbet previously in Japanese restaurants and really liked it. I've never tried cooking or baking with it so when Yutaka asked if I wanted to review their Yuzu citrus seasoning I thought why not?
I looked online for recipe inspirations and there were lots to choose from. It's commonly used to make sorbets, creme brulee and cakes and also as a salad dressing or in savoury dishes. I shortlisted a few recipes and then decided to create my own. The inspiration came from my favourite combination of lemon and blueberry. I spotted my madeleine tin under the table which has been neglected for a while hence these yuzu and blueberry madeleines. I remember attending a French glace cherries masterclass where we used browned butter to make financiers which I thought would work well with these so I gave it a go. The results were surprisingly good. The browned butter added lovely flecks of browned butter to the madeleines and gave a nice, slightly nutty flavour. The yuzu complemented the blueberries well and the madeleines tasted light and refreshing.
It's almost impossible to get fresh yuzu fruit in the UK so this yuzu seasoning is a great alternative. It has a lovely aroma to it and is beautifully presented in a little bottle. It comes with a little recipe booklet and there are a few other recipes on their website.
An original recipe by bakingaddict
100g plain flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
100g caster sugar
2 tablespoons yuzu seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 160C.
- Place the butter in a saucepan and heat gently until brown.
- Leave to cool slightly.
- In a bowl, mix the eggs, flour, baking powder and caster sugar until smooth.
- Stir in the yuzu seasoning (you can add more to taste).
- Finally add in the browned butter.
- Fill a madeleine tray about 2/3 full with the batter.
- Place 4 blueberries in each madeleine.
- Bake for about 8-10 minutes until it's golden brown.
- Allow to cool in the tin for a few minutes before placing on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Dust with icing sugar before serving.
Disclaimer: I was sent a bottle of yuzu citrus seasoning for review purposes. I was not required to write a positive review and all opinions are my own. This is not a paid post.