Saturday 24 May 2014

Chocolate and Mint Giant Cupcake


I was asked if I could bake something for my local Macmillan Information Centre's official opening. Macmillan is a great charity in support of a worthy cause. Their colours are green so I decided to make a giant green cupcake consisting of a chocolate cake, mint buttercream icing and a green candy melt shell. I decorated it with coloured stars and a giant white chocolate star on top. I also bought a green cake board to go with it. The cake is my favourite Nigella's old fashioned chocolate cake

I'm sending it to Love Cake hosted by JibberJabberUK. The theme this month is flowers and as this has rose piping on top, I hope it qualifies.



 green candy melts for the shell. See my previous post for more detailed instructions on creating a candy melt shell

 cakes ready to go in the oven

 candy melt shell

 I split the cake and filled it with mint buttercream icing - remember to trim the cake before placing into the shell otherwise it won't fit!

 Then placed the other half of the cake on top

 I smoothed more buttercream icing on top 

 and placed the top layer of the cake on top of that

  I piped roses on the giant cupcake and decorated it with star sprinkles

For the chocolate cake, follow the link for Nigella's Old fashioned chocolate cake - I made a double recipe as I also used for something else but my guess is you will need approximately 1.5 recipes to make this giant cupcake

For the buttercream frosting - feel free to halve the quantities, I made a large batch as I needed it for another project soon to be revealed

300g butter
600g icing sugar
1 tablespoon peppermint extract + 1 teaspoon (or adjust to taste) 
a few drops of milk
green food colouring



12 comments:

  1. Wow! That's a very beautifully piped, extremely large cup cake!! Mint and chocolate is such a great combination.... One of my favourites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one fantastic looking cake! Beautiful! I bet the recipients were absolutely delighted with it. This would make nice Christmas cake too, I think, and the flavours... chocolate and mint! Divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it would be good for Christmas - will have to remember that!

      Delete
  3. WoW! That is one beautiful cupcake!! Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good lord that looks good. I must get me one of those giant cupcake moulds. They're so impressive. As are your rose icing skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a slight giant cupcake obsession now :)

      Delete
  5. I'm so impressed by your piping skills and the fact the roses have actually stayed on the cake! I've used Candy Melts once before and they went rock hard really quickly again so you've done well to shape the cupcake case so well. Thanks for linking up again with this month's Love Cake,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! There were a few imperfections but overall I was pleased with the final look.

      Delete
  6. yum, choco mint is one of my fave flavour combos! love this giant cupcake - your piping work is SO good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know :) My piping is definitely improving - phew!

      Delete
  7. When we talk about a total organization logo or marking change, that would influence all the organization's items which will carry it to a greater scale.
    logo design service

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!